A uterine fibroid is an abnormal benign growth that can be found in or on a woman’s uterus.
They may be found in any part of the uterus and are oestrogen responsive. Uterine fibroids can vary in size from microscopic to tumours large enough to be comparable to various stages of pregnancy, for example they may be classed as a ‘16 week size tumour’. Lesions the size of a grapefruit or bigger may be felt by the patient herself through the abdominal wall. Fibroids may be single or multiple. Most fibroids start in an intramural location – that is, the inner layer of the muscle of the uterus. With further growth, some lesions may develop towards the outside of the uterus (pedunculated) or towards the cavity (submucosal). Lesions affecting the cavity tend to bleed more and interfere with pregnancy. Uterine fibroids are oestrogen sensitive and have oestrogen receptors. They may enlarge rapidly during pregnancy due to increased oestrogen levels. With menopause, as oestrogen levels decline, fibroids tend to regress.
Signs And Symptoms
Fibroids, particularly when small, may be entirely asymptomatic. Generally, symptoms relate to the location of the lesion and its size. Common symptoms include:
- Abnormal gynaecological haemorrhage
- During pregnancy, fibroids may cause miscarriage, bleeding, premature labour, etc.
- The sensation of fullness or pressure in lower abdomen
- Pelvic cramping or pain with periods
- Headaches & migraines
- Abdominal fullness
- Increase in urinary frequency
- Heavy menstrual bleeding (menorrhagia), sometimes with the passage of blood clots
- Sudden, severe pain with pedunculated fibroids
Possible Causes Of Fibroids
- Obesity and metabolic syndrome
- Immune system problems
- Genetics ( daughter of mothers having the disorder )
- Excess consumption of red meat and ham
- Increased oestrogen: progesterone ratio
- Certain environmental toxins that alter the action of oestrogen and can increase the risk of uterine fibroids
How Can Natural Medicine Help?
The main treatment aims to treat fibroids include:
- Decreasing the growth of the fibroids by increasing oestrogen clearance and regulating progesterone.
- Decreasing inflammation
- Decreasing pelvic congestion and pain
- Decreasing heavy blood loss
- Addressing iron deficiency if this has occurred due to heavy blood loss
- Treating the gut and doing an integrated detox if there are digestive disturbances and or environmental toxicity
These treatment aims can be addressed through the use of some amazing herbal medicines, nutritional supplements, dietary and lifestyle changes.
The treatment will be tailored to suit your individual needs and ensure the best outcome.
So don’t put up with symptoms any longer. Call Melbourne Naturopathy today to make an appointment