Natural Treatment For Dysmenorrhoea (Painful Periods)
Dysmenorrhea is the term used to describe painful periods. Despite being highly prevalent amongst Australian women, many don’t feel comfortable discussing the issue and at times report feeling embarrassed or dismissed when it comes to seeking help for this condition.
Although not life-threatening or chronically disabling, Dysmenorrhea can have a significant impact on quality of life due to the interference of daily activities and responsibilities. In fact, painful periods are one of the leading causes of work and school absenteeism in Australia. Pain usually occurs with the onset of menstruation, as prostaglandin levels rise, and the lining of the uterus thickens.
Pain that is not a by-product or associated in some way with an underlying health concern is referred to as primary dysmenorrhea. Secondary dysmenorrhea on the other hand, is pain exacerbated by menstruation, which is usually caused by some form of health issue, such as endometriosis, fibroids, irritable bowel syndrome or other pelvic and general health disorders.
Causes Of Dysmenorrhea
- Inflammation – contractions due to increased prostaglandin secretion
- Anxiety and stress
- Uterine ischemia
- Narrow opening of cervix, cervical stenosis or other anatomic abnormalities
- Endometrial polyps
- Uterine/pelvic infections
- Chronic/acute pelvic inflammatory disease
- Intrauterine device
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF DYSMENORRHEA INCLUDE:
- 1. Moderate to severe cramping and abdominal/pelvic pain beginning with the onset of period and lasting 8-72hours
- 2. Dull or dragging pain radiating to lower back, groin, legs.
- 3. Headache and/or migraine.
- 4. Nausea and/or vomiting.
- 5. Diarrhoea
- 6. May have IBS symptoms pre-menstrually with constipation and/or diarrhoea
- 7. Tender breasts, swollen abdomen
Relieving Dysmenorrhoea with Natural Treatments
At Melbourne Naturopathy, Linda provides natural treatment of dysmenorrhea through herbal medicine, nutritional supplements, dietary and lifestyle recommendations to decrease pain and inflammation, balance hormones and treat underlying health issues.
Linda will assess your history and individual circumstances to acutely decrease inflammation, pain, cramping, spasming etc. By correcting hormonal imbalances Linda can help to ease excessive period pain and treat any associated digestion issues or environmental toxicity with detox programs if required.