Natural Treatment For Menorrhagia (Heavy Periods)
Are you looking for a treatment to stop heavy periods?
Menorrhagia is an abnormally heavy and/or prolonged menstrual flow. Although many women experience heavy bleeding during their period, Menorrhagia, which is also sometimes referred to as Hypermenorrhea, is severe blood loss that is generally characterised by the following symptoms.
- Soaking through one or more pads or tampons within an hour or so, for consecutive hours.
- Needing to ‘double-up’ on sanitary protection to prevent leakage.
- Having to wake up to change sanitary products during the night.
- Bleeding for longer than a week.
- Passing blood clots that are larger than a twenty-cent coin.
- Avoiding or restriction of daily activities due to heavy menstrual flow.
- Anaemia symptoms such as lethargy or breathlessness.
What Causes Menorrhagia?
Major causative factors and risk factors that can contribute to the incidence of Menorrhagia include the following:
- Perimenopause, due to anovulatory cycles causing high levels of unopposed oestrogen
- Hormonal medications
- Anaemia; a cause and a consequence of heavy bleeding
- Increased prostaglandin production
- Environmental toxicity (xeno-oestrogen exposure) contributing to oestrogen load
- Overweight or obesity, increased fat mass leads to oestrogen excess
- Hormonal disorders involving the ovaries-pituitary-hypothalamus
- Blood disorders of platelets
- Irritation of the endometrium may result in increased blood flow (e.g., from infection)
- Contraceptive intrauterine devices
- Uterine fibroids
- Endometrial carcinoma
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
- Abnormal pregnancy and/or miscarriage
- Recent genitourinary surgery
How can natural medicine help with painful periods?
There is no one stop solution for Menorrhagia at Melbourne Naturopathy. For menorraghia you will receive treatment to stop acute heavy bleeding, and balance hormones to promote oestrogen clearance, and increase progesteone to reduce heavy bleeding on going.
What heavy period solutions can Melbourne Naturopathy provide?
As your dedicated Naturopath, Linda will take a detailed case history to determine the underlying cause and use a combination of herbal medicine, nutritional supplements, dietary and lifestyle changes to not only help reduce the menstrual flow, but balance hormones and correct the underlying issues at play.
Linda will also address nutritional deficiencies that may have occurred as a result of the heavy bleeding such as iron deficiency and in some cases introduce a detox program to reduce environmental and lifestyle drivers, improving hormonal clearance and alleviating environmental toxicity.