Is it not better to prevent yourself from getting sick by living a life of wellness than to get sick and then try to get better? Your goal should be wellness! Living a life of wellness improves health, energy and wellbeing, whilst reducing the risk of developing chronic disease. Wellness promotes positive health, and positive health promotes a healthy mind, body and spirit.
We have all heard the saying ” you are what you eat “, but the truth is ” you are what most consistently eat.” The best way to achieve your goal of wellness is to consume a diet you can sustain for the long term. Allow yourself one or two meals a week to eat whatever you want and then go back to healthy eating for the next meal.
SEVEN STEPS TO HEALTHY EATING
1. Include protein rich foods in each meal or snack. eg. fish, seafood, chicken, meat, eggs, dairy, soy and legumes.
2. Enjoy a minimum of three cups of fresh vegetables daily
3. Enjoy a minimum of two pieces or 1 cup of fresh fruit
4. Limit starchy carbohydrates to two small serves per day. eg Limit high glycaemic load foods such as bread, pasta, rice and cereal to one to two servings daily.
5. Include nuts, seeds and healthy oils in your diet. Healthy fats are encouraged through the consumption of healthy oils, nuts and seeds. Limit cooking and salad oils to 2 tablespoons and nuts and seeds to a small handful or 1/4 cup daily
6. Drink a minimum of eight glasses of pure water every day. Use natural flavourings such as fresh lemon, lime and mint in water instead of soft drinks and cordials. Reduce excessive consumption of caffeinated beverages to 1 to 2 per day.
7. Enjoy a ‘freedom’ meal once a week. A ‘wellness program’ is a life long diet and lifestyle program. Allow yourself 1 or 2 meals a week to eat whatever you want and then go straight back to the program for the next meal.
Your goal of wellness can be achieved by combining a wellness diet with regular exercise, relaxation, fun and key nutritional supplements.
If you would like to improve your energy, health and wellbeing please come and see me today. I can offer guidance in living that promotes optimal health long term. My aim is wellbeing, improvement and self understanding.