With all the functions and celebrations over the Christmas break it’s quite easy to fall into bad habits and overindulge far too often than normal. Before you know it those few excess kilos you tried so hard to lose have suddenly crept back on.
Some tips to avoiding weight gain and digestive discomfort during the festive season include:
1) Try not to drink to much alcohol. If you are going to overindulge in alcohol, at least drink a glass of water between each drink.
2) Try not to overindulge on too much fatty and processed food. Try and make healthier choices like some sort of protein with vegetables, salads and fruit. Try to minimise the high starchy foods as much as possible. eg potatoes, pasta, lasagne, rice. Eat these in moderation.
3) Start you day with a healthy breakfast such as a protein shake with berries or eggs with spinach and mushrooms.
4) Try having 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar first thing in the morning. This helps with digestion. You can also try hot water with lemon juice first thing in the morning. This may relieve symptoms such as nausea, heartburn, bloating and belching which are common when you are over indulging.
5) Increase your exercise, especially if you know you will be eating more food or worse food than normal. Go for an extra walk, or park your car further and walk. Just get out there and move!
6) You may want to take digestive enzymes and probiotics with meals as these will help to break down and metabolise food properly so you don’t get digestive upsets such as bloating, wind, constipation etc.
7) Drink at least 8 to 10 glasses of filtered water per day as this will help eliminate toxins and keep you hydrated during the hot weather.
8) Most importantly, have a very Merry Christmas and a safe and Happy New Year.