Metabolic syndrome or (Metabolic Age) is a collection of symptoms that lead to the slowing down of the bodies’ metabolism that leads to a diseased state. To be classified as Metabolic syndrome patients will have 3 of the 5 following disease states:
2. Coronary heart disease
3. Type 2 diabetes
4. High blood pressure (hypertension)
5. High/ imbalanced cholesterol (dyslipidemia)
If you have any one of the above you need to evaluate the reasons behind it and start to reduce your risk of metabolic syndrome. Since 2006, 68% of Australians have been classed as obese with a majority (1 in 4) fitting into the metabolic syndrome profile (including adolescents!). Almost all cases of metabolic syndrome could have been prevented by following a healthy diet and lifestyle, which has become ‘abnormal’ in Western society.
Causes/triggers of metabolic syndrome
1. Sedentary lifestyle (exercising for less than 30minutes a day): sitting at work, driving to and from work, getting machine to do what was once manual labour etc.
2. Diet: eating insufficient fruit and vegetables, high salt and sugar/refined foods, high saturated fat, low omega 3s, high carbohydrate, low protein, high sugar/caffeinated drinks, low water intake.
3. Your relationship with food: eating quickly, poor nutrition in our soils, convenience foods, lack of food preparation skills, microwaving.
4. Inflammation: insulin resistance, chronic disease, stress, poor sleep, toxicity, high levels of abdominal fat.
5. Low active tissue mass (muscle): less than 30min exercise a day, sedentary lifestyle, poor protein intake and digestion.
Symptoms / consequences of metabolic syndrome 2
1. Metabolic: overweight, weight gain around the abdomen, history of failed weight loss attempts, carbohydrate cravings, diabetes, high fasting glucose test
2. Liver and kidney: non alcoholic fatty liver, elevated AST
3. Reproductive: early puberty, lack of menstrual cycle, PCOS, infertility, low hormone levels, erectile dysfunction, impotence, prostate cancer
4. Cardiovascular: hypertension, vascular disease, high triglyceride levels, low HDL, high LDL, high fibrinogen, high uric acid
5. Skin: acne, skin tags, male pattern balding Neurological: depression, dementia, tinnitus, migraines,
6. Sleep: sleep apnoea, snoring, daytime sleepiness/ fatigue
For those of you who are suffering from any of the above conditions,why not make an appointment today to assess the cause of the problem and use natural medicines and dietary changes to try and resolve the problem. I have the Shake-it, Ultralite and HCG Weight loss programs,which are all fantastic diets to burn fat and reverse the above conditions.