Survived school holidays? It’s time to send our little angels back to school!!
The start of the school year is the perfect time to boost your child’s immunity, so that they stay strong and healthy throughout the year and don’t fall victim to frequent infections.
Over 70% of our immune system lives in and around the gastrointestinal tract; therefore having high levels of good bacteria in the digestive system is essential for building a strong immune system in growing children. The beneficial balance of “good bugs” in the gut is easily upset be many factors, including antibiotics, high sugar diets and stress. This can lead to an increase in colds and flu. Probiotics are beneficial bacteria that you can give your kids as a supplement to aid in the development and maintenance of healthy digestive and immune function.
Some herbs and nutrients for boosting immunity include:
– Andrographis and Echinacea
– Vitamin C
Diet and lifestyle tips to keep your child healthy at school are:
– Eating plenty of vegetables and fruit every day
– Eating protein rich foods in every meal or snack
– Drinking plenty of water
– Reducing sugar foods and sweets, as they can suppress optimal immune function
– Avoid or severely limit processed foods, additives and artificial flavours
– Ensure adequate sleep
– Encourage regular exercise
Help your kids thrive and do their best at school and play!