COMMON CHILDHOOD PROBLEMS
ADHD is the most common behavioural disorder in children. It’s characterised by different levels of inattention, hyperactivity, impulsivity, and/or significant academic, social and emotional problems.
AUTISM is another common childhood problem affecting the brain. it’s less common but becoming more widespread. This neurodevelopmental condition is characterised by impaired social interaction and communication, restricted interests and repetitive behaviour.
NATURAL MEDICINES CAN HELP
If your child has a learning disability, behavioural problem, or other disorder affecting their brain function, natural medicine can help by complementing any exisiting treatments with specific recommendations for dietarychanges, lifestyle adjustments and key natural supplements. Some basic recommendations that can support healthy brain function , learning and behaviour in childrern include the following:
- Eating well. A diet high in essential fatty acids, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, fibre and high quality protein gives the growing brain and body the nutrition it needs to encourage optimal development.
- Eat a full breakfast everyday. The brain needs adequate energy and nutrition to function at its best. Having a poor quality breakfast impairs learning and concentration in children.
- Eat plenty of fruit and vegetables daily.
- Ensure protein rich foods in each snack or meal. Choose lean protein sources such as organic or free range chicken, lean cuts of red meat, fish and eggs.
- Drink plenty of water. Substitute soft drinks, fruit juices and cordials with water.
- Avoid or severely limit processed foods, additives and artificial flavours as these may exacerbate behavioural symptoms.
- Get regular exercise and fresh air.
- Get adequate sleep every night.
Along with the above advice, there are some key natural supplements to further assist in improving the health of your child. These include:
- Multivitamins and minerals. A children’s multivitamin and mineral formula will provide your child with the nutrients they need for optimal brain function.
- Fish oils. Adequate levels of omega 3 essential fatty acids in the form of a children’s fish oil supplement will provide the essential building blocks for healthy brain development and cognition.
- Herbal support. Bacopa ( also known as brahmi ) is proven to boost memory. It may enhance learning by optimising mental alertness and concentration. L-theanine from green tea also has positive effects on memory and learning ability and enhances relaxation. Passionflower and chamomile are herbs that may assist in relieving nervousness, restlessness and irritability in children.
There are many more natural supplements available that may help with children’s problems. If you would like some more information on these natural remedies or any of the dietary and lifestyle changes mentioned, please don’t hesitate to contact me.
I can provide your child with an individualised program to help improve their memory, learning and behaviour, and assist in reaching their full life potential.